1767 Callands Clerks Office

Historical Sites

1767 Callands Clerk's Office

Small, but boasting the charm of Williams­burg, is the Callands clerk’s office 11 miles west of Chatham.

The clerk’s office was built around 1770 after Pittsylvania County was cut from Halifax County in 1767.

In 1966, the building was given to the people of Pittsylvania Coun­ty by owners Landon E. Oakes and J. Clyde Oakes to be maintained for all to enjoy as the first official building after Pittsyl­vania became a county in June 1767.

Measuring 19 by 24 feet, the sto­ry and a half brick structure has a steep-pitched roof, side chimney and a corbel, or four rows of stepped-back brick under the eaves.

The brick is laid in Flemish bond (a stretcher and a header, a stretcher and a header) on the main facade and in English or common bond (five rows of stretchers sandwiching one row of headers) on the other three sides.

The interior, typical of colonial design, has four windows down­stairs and a fireplace framed on top by a mantel and at the side by shelves. A narrow staircase leads to the small room above which has three windows.

Evergreen summer houses are still in the yard. Evergreens planted in circles border a room-sized space inside offering coolness during hot summer days.

After donation by the Oakes brothers, the clerk’s office was re­stored to beauty and architectural authenticity by the Chatham Garden Club.

The clerk’s office and nearby courthouse and gaol are home to Pittsylvania Historical Society’s annual Autumn Potpourri in October.