Callands Courthouse
1773 Callands Courthouse

Historical Sites

 

 

1773 Callands Courthouse and Gaol

Located across the road from the Callands clerk’s office is a building traditionally referred to as the Courthouse and Gaol, although its original use is inconclusive.

It is believed to have been a built around 1773. Wide steps lead to the porch that stretches across the front of the brick building. Inside is one large room with a wooden floor and fireplace at the far end. Shuttered windows let in light from the outside.

A dispatch of 1775 in The Virginia Gazette describes a meeting of numerous inhabitants in the Callands courthouse where they elected a committee of safety to line up against the English king, according to information published about the times. This lends credibility to the belief that this building was originally used as a courthouse.

The barred windows of the basement appear to indicate that it was at one time used as a jail. Some say it was a debtors’ prison. In later years it was operated by Samuel Calland as a store.

The structure and surrounding site was donated to the county by the family of Peggy Stegall Wood. The Stegall farm adjoins the property.

The old store was restored by the Pittsylvania Historical Society with funds from the Pittsylvania County Board of Supervisors.

It takes center stage each fall as a focal point during Pittsylvania Historical Society’s Fall Festival.